FJ Wieselburg
germanenglish

Foundation of the Institute

 

In the postwar years it became necessary to found an institution as in other countries for solving the upcoming difficulties in the growing dairy industry. After several years of negotiations the groundbreaking ceremony for the new building of the Austrian Federal Education and Research Institute for Dairy Farming with specified classrooms and laboratories in Wolfpassing took place on 17 July 1928. At the same time the already existing buildings and stables were adapted and the new boarding school was established in the Castle. The Institute was officially opened on 6 November 1930 by founding director Ministerialrat Dr. Anton List to fulfill the following tasks:

  • basic and advanced training for employees working in the dairy industry and other milk processing establishments,
  • support of the Austrian dairy industry with testing and other research activities provided that research will only handle practical problems, and
  • publication of the results of these studies orally and in writing and consultation of qualified personnel.

 

 

Bundespräsident Miklas bei der Eröffnungsfeier im Nov. 1930: ?Die Gründung der Anstalt ist ein Markstein in der Entwicklung der österreichischen Milchwirtschaft?

 

For fulfilling all the tasks of this wide-ranging remit the Institute was separated into four sectors – the school for milk production, the research institute, the education and research institute for milk production and the sector of agriculture.

 

In 1930 the first training course for dairy assistants, lasting for 10 months, took place in the school for milk production. The participants were trained as dairy and creaming assistants, cheese makers, teachers for milking, milking controllers, performance auditors and herd book keepers. Furthermore courses for dairy managers and dairy inspectors as well as courses for working persons were offered.



Molkereischule

The research institute was divided into a bacteriological department, a chemical and physical department and a department for mechanical equipment for the research of various scientific issues relating to dairy techniques.



Versuchsanstalt



The education and research institute for milk production was designed for collecting about 12.000 kg of milk per day. The milk was delivered by 800 suppliers from the local area that were united in a dairy cooperative. The training institute for dairy was mainly used for the practical training of the students and course participants but also for research and testing activities.



Lehr- und Versuchsmolkerei

The agricultural plant covered an area of 205 ha and was run as a mixed enterprise. About 100 cows and young cattle were kept in the stables. The institute had one of the best equipment for producing and delivering first-class children´s milk. The enterprise also had a sector for fattening pigs, a chicken farm and a department for bee-keeping.



landwirtschaftlicher Betrieb mit 100 Kühen, Schweinemast und Hühnerfarm